If you are self-employed, you have the option of deciding the amount of cover you want and the amount of levies you pay. Most importantly you will have certainty at time of claim by restructuring your cover from ACC Cover Plus to ACC Cover Plus Extra.
ACC will only compensate you in the event of an injury. By managing the amount of cover you have, you can save on your ACC levies and use those savings to obtain personal insurance that will also cover you in time of illness.
The following is additional information on ACC Cover Plus Extra from the ACC website www.acc.co.nz :
The benefits of ACC CoverPlus Extra
- You can tailor the level of cover for lost earnings to suit your own personal circumstances, subject to ACC underwriting.
- If you make a claim, there is no need to prove your earnings, as the weekly compensation has already been agreed. This means that you may receive your weekly compensation quicker.
- You will receive 100% of the amount of the agreed lost earnings compensation until you are fit for full-time work.
The difference between ACC CoverPlus and ACC CoverPlus Extra
The key difference is the amount of lost earnings compensation you receive. With ACC CoverPlus Extra you get 100% of the amount you negotiate. Because you have agreed cover, you may begin receiving compensation more quickly.
Whichever option you choose, we will provide assistance with treatment and rehabilitation costs.
How to know if ACC CoverPlus Extra is right for you
ACC CoverPlus Extra may better meet your needs if:
- Your income fluctuates
- Your personal income is not a true indication of actual earnings
- Your business will still generate income while you’re injured
- You have not been self-employed for long
- You want a guaranteed level of lost earnings compensation.
Who can apply?
Self-employed people can apply for ACC CoverPlus Extra.
What ACC CoverPlus Extra costs to you
ACC CoverPlus Extra levies are calculated in a similar way to ACC CoverPlus levies, ie based on the levy rates specific to your business activity.
In addition the levies we also take into account the agreed amount of cover for lost earnings compensation.